Sunday, May 18, 2008

I came, I saw, I road, I fell...I fell again

Wow a day today was. Woke up early had a horrible softball game then came back in to get a nice training ride in before we ship our bikes out later in the week. Today was going to be my first ride with clipless pedals and cleats. I had been practicing on the trainer throughout the week since I got my clipless pedal system. I was ready to bring it out on the road. Turns out the rainy day was not the day to start using the new system. I was a little anxious at first getting out on the road but I was able to clip in and out fairly easily. We had ridden about 1.5 miles until we came across some diagonal train tracks (a biker's worst nightmare). If you know Hoboken you know Madison St. is not the best place to ride as its filled with potholes and lots of other junk in the road. Basically I got to the train tracks and didn't ride straight over them but instead to the side. Mistake...head over heels I was in the air and all I got was a cut thumb. My bike went flying and my cleats disengaged like they should. It was pretty amuzing. Too bad Mike didn't take a picture of it. We decided to ride a little more afterwards and then to come back over the train tracks as it was a psychological thing to overcome. I even disengaged my pedals before I went over the tracks this time. It was to no avail as I was on the ground again. No serious injuries to report but I got a little road rash...the initiation to the bikers club.

A cut thumb, road rash, and a little hurt pride and some bent handle bars was all I have to report. That was my first fall in almost a year since I began riding. Let's hope California doesn't have any perpendicular train tracks or else I don't know what I'm going to do. Time to get back on the trainer and make sure everything is alright.

Update 5/19/08...still alive and since I looked like a cow yesterday flying through the air I'm thinking about getting this jersey. I will definitely fit the part with this jersey.

2 comments:

Roman said...

Did Schwimmer react at usual...laughed and kept on riding?

carol peligal said...

be careful of the trains I don't want anymore gray hair.Gram