Saturday, May 10, 2008

Training Ride at the SBP

First, congrats everybody on the half marathon! Everyone's times look awesome!

This morning I went on another (I think my fourth) ride on the Schenectady Bike Path (SBP), which, as usual was awesome. The segment I ride is 14 miles, which I now believe to be true because I had my new bike computer hooked up and working (installed it myself as usual). I've decided that the Cateye Velo 8 was the easiest and cleanest install i've done to date on a bike.

The path was not crowded but there were more people than the last few times that I was there, which was nice to see. Similar to the Jeep Wave, I enjoy briefly greeting all of the people coming at me and yelling "On your left!" to the people I'm passing.

I was pretty pleased with my cadence and seemed to be riding around 15mph for most of the time, because with stops my speed was around 10mph. My top speed was 23mph which is pretty good considering there are no big hills. The bike handles beautifully at high speed.

I love that on this bike I'm able to use the drops because they are more upright than my 1500 was. Today, I was in the drops and pedaling hard and not looking up in front of me and almost didn't realize there was a huge deep ditch coming up, and the path curved around it. Luckily, (very much so!) I looked up and saw it just in time to hit the breaks and skid to a stop, avoiding the fall (which would have hurt ALOT).

No comments: